Practical advice during Gas Safety Week

“Safety doesn’t happen by accident.”  Jodi Rell

Now approaching its fifth year, Gas Safety Week (14-20 September 2015) was set up to raise awareness and increase public knowledge about the importance of safe household gas practices.
With over 23 million households in the UK with gas, consuming approximately 278,100 GWh (gigawatt hours) per annum it is important to highlight just how essential it is to have an annual safety check on the gas appliances you own.

Related: Free and simple property maintenance checklist for this Winter

Here are our essential 8 tips for keeping your home safe:

  1. Initially complete a visual check of your appliances. Look for anything that would be unusual for instance a yellow flame instead of a blue one in your boiler or black marks / staining around the appliance or possibly a high level of condensation may suggest a leak. This will take only a moment to complete but could identify an issue before it becomes a serious problem.
  2. You should have all your gas appliances, boilers, gas cookers, gas fires etc professionally checked and serviced every year. Different appliances will have difference servicing requirements but if in doubt, an annual check and service should be a minimum.
  3. You need to check that the engineer carrying out your checks are ‘Gas Safe Registered’. It is against the law for any person to carry out work on gas appliances in the UK unless they are registered with the Gas Safe Register. You can find a gas safe engineer by clicking here or by calling 0800 408 5500. As a secondary check, all gas safe engineers carry an ID Card that clarifies exactly what they are registered to work on as there are different levels of registration so always be mindful.
  4. If one of your appliances are faulty it may leak carbon monoxide and therefore it is essential to fit a carbon monoxide alarm near to your appliances, also making sure it is LOUD as carbon monoxide can cause drowsiness.
  5. Make sure you know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. These include, headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness. Knowing and identifying the signs may save a life so make sure you are aware of the symptoms.
  6. Now that you know the symptoms, you need to know how to quickly relieve the situation. If someone starts to feel any of the above symptoms it is imperative that you get fresh air immediately by opening the windows and doors. Ensure you turn off all gas supplies (there is a main shut off valve in most properties so familiarise yourself with its location. Also where possible, extinguish naked flames. These essential actions may save your or your visitors life.
  7. A simple yet important tip is to ensure that you are only using appliances as they are meant to be used. For example, do not use a gas barbeque indoors. It may sound ludicrous however it has been done before.
  8. Finally, for anyone renting out their flat, from 1st October 2015 it will be a legal requirement, under The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 for a carbon monoxide alarm be equipped in any room of the premises which is used as living accommodation and to ensure checks are made to confirm the device is in working order on the day the tenancy begins.

To discuss the above in further detail or to ensure you have a experienced and professional London Property Management Company that you can trust managing your home, contact Strangford Management today.